Our client a highly reputable Costs firm is seeking a highly skilled Senior Cost Negotiator to join their legal services team. As a Cost Negotiator, your primary responsibility will be to negotiate settlements of solicitors’ costs while ensuring compliance with the Negotiations Manual. Additionally, you will play a vital role in providing exceptional customer service to retain the firm’s clients. This position offers a competitive salary, excellent career progression opportunities, and various benefits.
Key Tasks / Job Responsibilities:
- Negotiating settlements based on Bills of Costs and supporting documentation.
- Collaborating with solicitors to facilitate effective communication and cooperation.
- Providing weekly progress updates to our clients and informing them of offers received from defendant’s insurers/solicitors.
- Obtaining necessary authorization from clients at the beginning of each case to streamline negotiations.
- Supplying a detailed breakdown of fees incurred by our client during offer advisory, along with a final breakdown of fees upon case settlement. Ensuring prompt return of our client’s file of papers within 24 hours.
- Preparing regular reports for clients, outlining the current position and offers on a weekly or biweekly basis.
- Attending client meetings at their offices as requested or required.
- Engaging with defendants to facilitate prompt negotiations and settlements.
- Reviewing offers and determining whether to accept or reject them, as well as formulating counter proposals.
- Assessing documentation received from the defendant to analyse its impact on costs and review our position accordingly.
- Liaising with the court and advocates by performing tasks such as issuing court proceedings, responding to court proceedings, preparing court documentation and bundles, and providing instructions and briefs to counsel.
- Assisting with advocacy by supplying relevant information when required.
- Preparing statements of costs ahead of provisional or detailed assessment hearings.
- Managing own administration work, including handling phone calls, preparing letters and emails, and maintaining a personal diary.
- Providing coverage for colleagues during holidays or absences.
- Complying with the audit process implemented during negotiations.
- Staying updated with new rules and case law, attending internal training sessions, and reviewing training documentation to understand their impact on costs.
- Meeting service level agreements and promptly addressing client queries.
- Maintaining a professional and courteous approach while interacting with internal and external stakeholders.
- Undertaking other reasonable duties assigned by immediate or ultimate supervisors to meet business needs.
- Intermediate/Advanced IT skills.
- Strong organisational and communication skills.
- Level 3 qualification or above (or equivalent).
- Minimum 8 years of legal costs experience.
- Proven track record of handling a caseload of 60-100 files or 40+ high-value cases.
- Ability to contribute to eshots, blogs, social media, and people development if required.
- Demonstrated experience in handling multi-track and catastrophic cases.
- Proven understanding and experience of Civil Procedure Rules (CPR) and Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Our client is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive work environment that promotes work-life balance. our client offers the opportunity to work remotely, along with flexible working hours. They also provide various benefits and excellent opportunities for career advancement.
Salary Range: Competitive, depending on experience